Friday, August 21, 2009

The Storm

A series of events that have been building since the beginning of this project finally came to a head today. Being the day before our performance, tensions were at an all time high, all around. Appaarently there is a typical flow to group dynamics and one phase of that is storming that is when tensions flare up and the team either falls apart or reforms.

I witnessed rushed tones and curt behavior, which I am used to in the (un) professional workplace but seemed so very out of character in this group. I wasn’t there at lunch but I heard the addressed it with each other and it great to hear how everyone in the group is so impressively open to feedback and willing to address their own behavior. Incredible self-awareness.

Arthur and I also had numerous concerns that we brought up repeatedly, from long before we came to Cambodia, with the way the project was being run. It is our responsibility to be advocates for SEALNet when we think that things are going off course. I had resigned myself to let it play out because I thought it was too late to change things, and give up in the face of resistance. Arthur convinced me not to give up just yet.

That night our debrief lasted for three hours and we all laid out our concerns. Confrontation is difficult for me but becaue it came from a place of genuine caring and conern to improve the situation and our relationships it was actually very comfortable and productive. It was a real growth experience for me and I learnt a lot about trust and the importance of building a relationship before diving into things and talking things out in a reasonable constructive way before they turn into major issues.

No comments: