Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sitting in the Library

I decided to take it easy on my last day in Siem Reap. The original plan was to visit some of the further-out temple ruins today, as most people who stay for a third day do. Instead I decided to go back to Angkor Wat with my guide book and really explore the singular site. I do wish I had also gone to Bantay Srei as I heard later it is the oldest and most beautifully carved.

Sitting in one of the libraries, I rode out a monsoon storm. It was blazing hot all day and sweat was pouring out of me and the thunderstorm was welcome relief. You could see my outline, from the wet stain of my sweaty shirt, on the pillar I was sitting against.

Somehow I got to talking to a guy who was plugging in flood lights against one of the friezes. I could hardly understand him but he was interesting all the same and the conversation was worth the couple extra "excuse me, could you please repeat that's."  Apparently he was born in Siem Reap and had just come out of the monastery a couple of years earlier.

A cop offered me his cap with his badge for $10. I told him I wasn’t interested and he asked me to make him an offer.  Ah Cambodia.

My driver for the day told me he wanted me to see the real side of Cambodian living and he was going to take me to a floating village. This is where the very poor live. Their homes are

No comments: