Thursday, April 7, 2011

Extreme Hospitality


Keep in mind that this post was written a week after the posting date and everything I talk about has remained true.

Hospitality is an important part of Indian culture.  Guests are treated with heartfelt and attention and devotion.  Everyone wants to do whatever they can to make you as comfortable as possible and will go well out of their way to make it happen.  It's a bit hard getting used to coming from a self-reliant, private and independent place (I know how shocking it must be for some of you to read me call myself independent or private.)

You are asked incessantly if you have any needs, put in the center of conversation and served first at meals.  I haven't been able to crack open my wallet since arriving except for slipping out to indulge my daily coconut habit.  I'm still trying to figure out if it's my duty to accept all the hospitality, or if there is a way to politely say, "stop worrying about me, I'll help myself."

Don't get me wrong it feels really nice and sincere.  I will have plenty of time on the tourist track where I will be crying out for the familial love I've been wading through this first couple of weeks.

You have to eat slowly and evenly across your meal.  As soon as the level of any one thing on your plate drops, someone will ask you if you want more.  Now, I figured this out, but I have yet to test it because the food is always so good I end up scarfing it all down.  From looking at photos I can tell that I've already gained quite a bit of weight, all around the belly.  All this kindness is going to lead to a coronary.

No comments: