Sunday, April 24, 2011

In a Jodhpuri Hole


After visiting yet another thousand year old temple in Osian (interior glammed up in typical Marwardi style) I took a bus back to Jodhpur to take the overnight bus to Jaisalmer.  I seem to have gotten stuck in a Jodhpuri hole.  I have spent an inordinately long time here considering all of it's charms can be enjoyed in a single afternoon.

Jodhpur is known for their textiles so I figured I would do a bit of shopping.  My cousin Anand gave me a recommendation for a shop.  On telling the hotel owner, he insisted that I could get the same stuff for less elsewhere and he would take me around, of course that tacked a taxi fee onto my hotel bill.

The first stop was the shop Anand had suggested and he was right, the quality was unmistakably good.  The salesman was a charectar.  He had his whole spiel well rehersed including dramatic gestures and stories of royalty and movie stars.  I had to bite the sides of my mouth to stop the laugh of mockery from erupting from my face.  He also claimed that these were the same items produced for designer labels, I've heard that line in just about every market.  If designers found their products being sold off label I think they would probably want to switch suppliers.

We still checked out a few other places and it all paled after seeing the first.  We spent way too long with the other places because we had to sit and make pleasaentries with them, next time I'm not sticking around if there is no business to be made.  As seems to always be the case here, offers of help always end up costing you more time and money than if you just did it yourself in the first place.  I ended up going back to the original place to buy up my stuff ten minutes before they closed.  I now have a blanket made from the testicle hairs of a mythical Tibetan goat.

After dinner I was thought I was still early for my train and just as I'm settling up my tab I realized that my piece of crap phone decided to switch back an hour from the actual time.  My bus, the last one for the night, was gone.  Fuck, another night in this rat hole hostel.  I was lucky enough to capture the bottom floor room which was much cooler than the top floor closet but the down side was that the bathroom was absolutely revolting so I continued to go up the four flights for my ablutionary needs.

I will need to burn some sage or sacrifice a bull to Kali.  Something, anything to break me from my curse.

Why must I make everything harder than it needs to be.  I'm over this low budget bullshit.  Why am I pretending to be a poor student.  I don't need to stay in the airconditioned tent on safari, but I can at least spring for hot water showers at my hotels.

















No comments: