Monday, April 18, 2011

Night Train to Rajastan


I don't really go too into much detail about the people I have been spending time with these past couple of weeks but that's been the most significant part of my journey so far.  The people I have been spending time with have been the real experience so far.  I will see a lot of amazing monuments but the memories that will leave indemnible marks on me are the people I have met along the way that have made such a difference at the start of my trek.  I tried to thank them for their hospitality as I said goodbye to each of the people I've had the pleasure of spending time with so far, and hopefully they get some sense of the gratitude I feel.  It's great being a guest, now the bar is set pretty high for me to aspire to.

I took the sleeper train to Udaipur in Rajastan.  It was a peaceful night with families sprawled out in the station having picnics and naps.  The stench of raw sewage at the platforms is rough though.  I am riding an AC sleeper car through the night.  There were two types of air conditioned tickets available, one was standby for the sleeper and the other was a reserved on cancellation, which gives you a seat on the AC chair and an automatic upgrade to sleeper if one is available.  There's actually a thrid option which I chose.  Trains reserve a certain number of seats in each class for emergencies use.  They are only sold 2 days prior to departure and go quickly.  I booked mine Saturday morning, for only 200 rupees more I was guarenteed a bunck on the sleeper train.  See you in the morning.





1 comment:

Pooja said...

Hemantmasa and Lopamasi look like revolutionaries.