Monday, May 2, 2011

I will NOT be Staying Here Long

From bus station I was hit with ever scam in the book. I was told that the hotel I wanted to go to was closed. I was told that they will use the meter, which are all fixed and was estimated at triple the rate and they wanted to charge a premium for traffic. Luckily I believed none of it and negotiated a decent price to the area I wanted to go to. It was close, no traffic and they put me in an unmetered auto to save the fixed meter for another unsuspecting rube.

Eww, my second crappy hotel. This one really sucks. I used my guide book and chose this place because it was in the nice part of town, Connaught Place. The only places on the street that had available rooms were gross. Oh well, It's just a night.

I ordered a paneer tikka sandwich from KFC as Usher played in the background, prepared on the non-veg counter with my permission. My cousin Pooja recommended I give it a try. If anyone else in the world had suggested that I eat at an American chain in India they would have incurred my disdain and scorn for the atrocity, but Pooja commands enough of my respect that I'll suspend my indignation. It was good but my breakfast cost almost as much as my hotel room.

I was going to make the best of what seems to be a charmless city. I wanted to hit the museums and enjoy some culture and air-conditioning. But as I found out when I got to the National Museum is that all the museums are closed on Mondays. On my way back I asked some teenagers what museums they liked but none of them had ever been to any. Expecting they were new immigrants I was saddened to learn they had lived in Delhi their whole lives. Their answer was that locals don't go to the museums they go shopping. Sums up Delhi pretty well I think.

I got seriously lost right around the corner from where I needed to be because Connaught Place is a large ring and all the buildings look identical. And this is the most unhelpful town ever. I asked people the direction of some of the landmarks I noted and most would just gesture in a general direction if they troubled themselves to acknowledge me at all. After a couple of hours of this in the baking sun, an auto driver offered to take me for 50 rupees and when I said I want to walk said it was too far. I was literally around the corner from where I needed to go.

The highlight of the day was getting freed from the elevator that broke down between floors. I had looked everywhere for a cafe that also provided internet but it turns out none do in a security effort to combat terrorism.

I did manage to buy my camera from the Cannon showroom at a ridiculously inflated price because of the high import duties. I would have left that same night if the bus wasn't sold out.

1 comment:

Pooja said...

Bro, I said the paneer tikka sandwich at Subway.