Thursday, May 5, 2011

With a Little Help from My Friends

Took an amazing Iyengar yoga class in the morning. There were only three other people in it so we all got lots of attention. I've never taken Iyengar before but really liked it. It was all about getting the exact alignment down and using tools to get you into the right position if you would not normally be able to get there. I think it would be the perfect introduction to yoga. I was really tempted to stay an extra day just so I could take a couple more of his classes and maybe do some white water rafting on the Ganges the next morning.

Rishikesh is nice but it just doesn't resonate all that much with me. I think it's because it's such a serious place. It feels like everyone is so involved with coming to worship the river that they don't get to really just sit and appreciate it. The swarms of flies and cow diarrhea are also a real turn off.

I'm staying in Swagashram, across the river from the main town and much quieter and mellow. I ventured into the main town to get a yoga bag so I don't fumble with it under my arm while riding my bike back home. I am so glad I was in peaceful Ashram territory not crazy the crazy tourist hell that is the Laxman Jula side or main Rishikesh across the river. I also rediscovered my knack for bad shopping. I bought an over the shoulder bag for Rs.150, then the next one for Rs. 100, then one for Rs.50 and finally saw the perfect one for Rs.40 but by then had more bags than shoulders so passed. Shopkeepers know immediately what you will be willing to pay for something.

The Beetles came to Rishikesh to stay with the Maharishi at his ashram which is now abandoned but you can slip the guard Rs50 per person to let you in to roam about. I didn't want to encourage the guard's corruption, but the girl I was visiting with wasn't allowed in by herself in case she got mugged and organ harvested so she paid for both of us.

When it comes to making a buck of tourists, India's got it down pat. I went in to a travel guy to book my train ticket which costs Rs.570, which I saw as he was booking it. He asked for Rs.900 to book it. Now I don't mind paying 50 for his trouble but this was ridiculous so I walked out and went to an internet cafe to book it myself.

The guy at the internet shop asks me where I'm going and when, then rushes to his own computer to book the ticket. I kept explaining to him that I am booking it myself and don't need to buy a ticket through him. He pretends no to understand me which is hilarious because we spoke to each other in English and Gujrati just last night so I know he's getting what I'm saying in both languages. When I go to book mine I'm waitlisted because he's got the last one on his screen, so I ask him to clear out of his and he's still trying to sell me a ticket. I get up, press cancel on his computer and book the damn thing myself.

Last week someone told me a story about when India had a closed economy. You would buy a sack of sugar and the bottom fifth would be filled flour. When you bought a sack of flour when you got to the bottom fifth you would find sugar.














1 comment:

Rachel said...

Arthur is right, your photos are becoming quite excellent. I can't figure how you took the yoga one, you're in an inverted 90degree angle!

that is some great "bad shopping", in spite of you becoming some-the-wiser to the informal laws of commerce.

Hope you are enjoying matching their wit and not getting in too much trouble with your NY state of mind. The nerve of you canceling your would-be swindler's transaction!