Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Roof Top Hop

We didn't do a damn thing all day and it was great. The day started off early, I had been wanting a particular tattoo of a Tibetan deity since I was 18 and figured since I was here I should see how possible it might be to get it done by an actual Tibetan who would have a real knowledge of the ratios and symbolism involved. I mentioned it to the yogis over dinner the night before and they said they knew someone who was really good. He was actually a tanka painter who also did tattoos. They showed me a picture of him tattooing their friend so I could see his work and recognize him.

I had a map to his house and a phone number but I couldn't get a hold of him that morning. It was 9AM and just about nothing and no one is available before 10. I passed him on the street and recognized him from the photo but didn't stalk him in case he was the wrong guy. While I waited for him to return my call, I decided to check out a tattoo artist that had flyers and signs all over town. Getting to his place was a labyrinth of steps and hills and cows but I eventually got there. I saw some pieces he had done in his books and was not impressed so decided to take a pass.

By the time I got back to the street the original tattoo guy had called and we met up. I went back to his place to talk more about what he would do. Since he does his manually, no machine, I figured I would get something smaller and simpler, maybe a mandala.

I asked to see some of the work that he had done in the past. He didn't actually have any. At this point I was pretty sure I wasn't getting anything done. If it's taken me 18 years of carrying around the first idea of the tattoo without actually executing, I figured I'm not rushing into something else in one day. I would really have to research and get a mandala that means something, otherwise I might as well get a dolphin with a rainbow coming out of his blowhole tattooed on my ass. It was strange that he didn't have any photos of work he'd done so the guy that came with me asked how many tattoos he had done so far. The answer was three. Fast forward a few days, I see him all over town and he eventually shows me the sketches he made for my mandala and they are actually really good. I asked him if he could do it with lines that fine and he said, "maybe, I can try with you."

The rest of the day was just hanging out with quadrumpherate our. We kept moving from rooftop restaurant to rooftop restaurant looking for the perfect place that was outdoors with enough shade, clean enough to eat at and served beer. By the time we had lunch at 4 we were so wiped we all decided to take naps and meet up for dinner. I slept through dinner but found 'em for drinks at the end of the night. We sat at the "highest table in McLeod Ganj." A few beers and many stories were shared before they closed at 1AM, as did everything in town. I thought we were on the other street because nothing looked familiar until we were right up on my hotel. We all parted ways and I was ready for a good shower and to be close to my toilet because the grumbling was not pleasant. Well, my gates were locked and after 15 minutes of trying to get someone from inside to hear me I had to call up one of the crew and crash with them for the night.









1 comment:

Rachel said...

get the dolphin already. sheesh