Sunday, May 8, 2011

Improvising

At breakfast I met two yoga teaching students who voraciously completed more food than I thought they could possibly manage. They told me about their yoga school and I decided to drop in on a class at 4PM. In the mean time I used the day to map out the city, OK, it's a small map. There are two streets, one shop width apart and a couple of connecting alleys. Both street are jam packed with Tibetan arts and crafts for the tourist trade.

I have to admit that this town which has resonated most with me, so far in India, is the one with the minority Indian population. Tibetans are a good looking, good natured, crowd. The children, adults and elderly seem to be smiling and relaxed all the time and certainly look healthier than their Indian counterparts.

The 4'oclock yoga class was filled with clean, young and impossibly good looking students all dressed in white. There was to be no yoga that day, they were going to watch a movie instead. I sat down to watch Siddharta with them when someone mentioned Tibetan massage. So I took a rain check on communing with the Stepford Yogis and went in search of a masseuse. I had a few misses but finally found one, directly below my hotel in the back side. The masseuse was taught the massage techniques by her grandparents. It wasn't all that different from a regular relaxation massage until she got to the face and really worked the individual muscles, including around the eyes.

I had a recommendation for Khanna Nirvana (Nirvana of Eating) The restaurant was empty except for one other table so after ordering I invited myself to join them. They were having an improv group which I joined in on. I got so caught up in it, I forgot to photograph it, gotta remember to better document my days.

I have yet to come across anyone in this entire town who has anything but amazingly bright energy and positivity. I walk around smiling all the time.







No comments: